Saturday, October 4, 2008

Finally, a Stout

I haven't made a stout since March of this year. Not because I don't love stouts, it's just that I'm constantly trying different and new brews. But today is the day, and I'm making an oatmeal stout that I, for no good reason, have been putting off for weeks. I made my starter two nights ago, 3 quarts worth, and I just started mashing my grains 20 min ago. I overshot my mash temp by 6 degrees (was going for 152), so I'm letting it cool down a bit. My inventory was off (no idea how), because I thought I had 3 oz of East Kent Golding whole hops, but I only have two. So I'll be subbing the missing ounce with Fuggles.
I'm 20 min into my boil, missed my pre-boil SG by 6 points, which is not that bad. The original recipe called for an OG of 1.055, I was looking at hitting 1.059, now it should come to about 1.056. Pretty good in my opinion.
My neighbors, en elderly couple, have seen me brewing in the garage a number of times. Today the wife (I forgot her name) came to ask what I was doing. So I told her, and she seemed fascinated. She told me about a son of a friend of hers who also brews, living in Minneapolis, who has won a few awards. I'll definitely have to bring them over a few brews.

2 comments:

bermanworldtour said...

Great Blog, Jasuhn. I think in honor of the season you should make a pumpkin brew!!! MMmmmm!

bermanworldtour said...

Oh - my bad I just noticed you have pumpkin ale bottles - go you. That's one of Ben's favorite beers.