Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Slow

Not much has been happening since Teach a Friend to Homebrew day. In fact, I've taken those few weeks in between off as there's lots of beer aging away, waiting for a keg to free itself (well, it can't do it alone, I'll help). I transfered the ten gallons of Amber Rye to secondary fermenters and added Polyclar, a clarifying agent that helps eliminate evil chill haze.
I'm also getting ready to make my first lager, now that the cold has come. But my fermenting fridge is in the garage, and it's even too cold in there! I have the thermostat in the fridge set to 50, but the temp is around 45. A bit too cold for the lager yeast I've chosen, Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager, which has a temp range of 48-58. So I'm thinking of moving the fridge to the basement where I can have excellent control all year round. Too bad the things heavier than a mo'fo.

Pilsner Jasuhn
8 lb German Pilsner
1 oz Select Spalt (60 min)
1 oz Saaz (30 min)
0.5 Spalt (30 min)
1 oz Saaze (flame-out)

Target OG 1.048
Target IBU 33

No comments: