Friday, December 5, 2008

It's The Litte Things

As I mentioned earlier, brewery activity has slowed lately. I brewed up a 2 gallon batch of Dogfish Head 60 Min clone, it's dry hopping right now and will be ready to bottle in about a week (I can't wait!). That basically came about from brewing withdrawal. I put the porter on the gas to carbonate and it's coming along. I think it's too young still as it is very sweet. Served at just below room temp it's not as bad, more of the roasted flavor comes through. But being that this is a rather big beer (OG was about 1.084) it probably needs months of aging in reality.
The stout came out pretty darn great! It's actually pretty light in body, and has a good bitterness to it that compliments the roasted flavors very nicely. The oats definitely added a smoothness to it that I enjoy.
I'm looking forward to getting the amber ales on the gas so they can be drinkable in a week or so. Then this weekend it's time to (finally) brew up Denny Conn's Rye IPA. I am very excited for this as I have only heard good things. And I'm ready for nice hoppy beverage. It'll also need some aging, but that's why I have the Dogfish Head to tide me over. I think I'll also make another quick turnaround brew after that. Something similar to the Scottish Light I brewed a while back, but more along the lines of an English Mild. Something that's drinkable within a few weeks of brewing, not heavy, goes down easy. A good lunch beer. Yeah, that's what I'd like about now.

No comments: