Thursday, September 25, 2008

A Flavourful Note

Both the Scottish Light and the Centennial Blonde are now available on tap. The blonde came out great! This was my second attempt at the recipe, and last time I had added a dry hop addition for some aroma. I decided to go without them this time and am not disappointed. It's extremely smooth, slightly sweet, slight hop bitterness, and very, very drinkable.
The Scottish Light (see below for recipe) is just that... light! I missed my FG by only 4 points (was shooting for 1.011 and hit 1.015), but with a starting gravity of only 1.035, those four points make a huge difference. I lost 1% abv, from 3.5% to 2.5%. It's very thin, which you would expect from a light beer, but it does have good (albeit subtle) malty flavor. While it is enjoyable, it is not what I'm looking for in a beer. I want more body (which I may have lost in part due to poor mash temperature stabilization), and more pronounced flavor. So next up... Oatmeal Stout!

No comments: