Sunday, September 7, 2008

Scottish Light

It's another brew day. And it looks like it's going to be a beauty! Mostly sunny and a high of 70. Nice.
Today I'm brewing up a Scottish Light ale (BJCP style 9A). I had originally scheduled today for my first porter, but decided I really didn't want to make something heavy that would limit you to one or two pints a sitting. Also, I wanted something that wouldn't have to age for long, something I can drink within 2-3 weeks of brewing. I have yet to make an all grain Scottish ale, so this seemed perfect. I had also just happened upon this month's BYO which has an entire section dedicated to Scottish beers.

When most people think of a Scottish ale they think of a Scotch ale. A beer that's typically heavy, malty, and high in alcohol. Well, that doesn't have to be the case. The Scottish Light, or 60/- (shilling) is defined as "cleanly malty with a dry finish" and is balanced more towards malt than hops in profile (which is common for all Scottish ales). You're looking for only 2.5%-3.2% ABV in this beer, which is very light and easy to drink. Should be perfect for the start of fall.

Robbie Burn's 60/-
(BYO September, 2008)

Target OG 1.033
Target FG 1.011
Target IBU 15.5
SRM 14.5

2.25 lb Munich Malt
1.75 lb Marris Otter
1.75 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Crystal Malt 40L
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt

0.75 oz East Kent Goldings (90 min) (original recipe called for Fuggles, which I could not find)

1 pkg of Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale - no starter

Scottish ales should be mashed med-high (154-158) to reduce the amount of fermentable sugars. My brewing software tells me my FG will be 1.009, so I will aim for a higher mash temp (157) and hopefully get it to 1.011.
The original recipe called for 0.25 lb more of the Munich, MO, and Vienna malts. But with my efficiency being what it is, I had to reduce those numbers to hit the target OG.

No comments: