Tuesday, September 23, 2008

New Toy!


Whoo! I got me a gorgeous new toy. A Blichmann BoilerMaker. 20 gallons worth of brewing glory. And of course with said new toy comes a new batch of beer. My first 10 gallon batch! An American Wheat. One of the things I'm looking forward to in being able to brew up ten gallon batches is being able to take one brew and try two different yeasts with it. Since I will be splitting the batch into two 5 gallon carboys, I have some room to experiment. However, since I wasn't sure what I was making until the last minute I didn't really have time to make a yeast stater. So I just used the same yeast (a dry Safale US-05, similar to Wyeast's 1056) for both.
While there was no room to experiment with yeasts, I will be making one of these batches into a strawberry wheat! Which is new and exciting for me. I think strawberries will go very will with this brew. And I'm fermenting at high temps to extract some fruity esters from the yeast.

No comments: